Columbia University has launched a program called the Open Syllabus Project that analyzed 6,000,000 college syllabi in the world to see what the most assigned books are.
They recently came out with an interactive visualization of it. Check out Open Culture to learn more.
The list is great because it opens a world for discovering books that experts have decided are worth exploring to ensure a well-informed citizenry.
Here are the top 10:
1. The Elements of Style by William Strunk
2. A Writer’s Reference by Diana Hacker
3. Calculus by James Stewart
4. Human Anatomy and Physiology by Elaine Nicpon Marieb
5. Republic by Plato
6. The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx
7. A Pocket Style Manual by Diana Hacker
8. Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
9. Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle
10. Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes